Friday, October 23, 2009

October Pumpkin Recipes: Pumpkin Oatmeal


I know this is a breakfast, but how could I missed this one.

Pumpkin Oatmeal
adapted from "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld

1 C milk
1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
1 C canned pumpkin (the recipe calls for 1/4 but I like more flavor)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 T cinnamon
1 C old fashioned oats
Dash of nutmeg
2 tsp natural peanut butter (opt)
2 T milled flax seed (opt)
Dried fruit and nuts

1. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, flax seed, and spices. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the oatmeal. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes , until the oatmeal is soft and creamy. Stir in the peanut butter, if using (I've never done that because my little one can't have PB--so let me know if you like it).

2. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, sprinkle with dried fruit and nuts. If you like, serve with warm maple syrup (again, never tried that).

No comments:

Post a Comment